Through the Agricultural Land Preservation Program, the district works with local farmers, Lebanon County Commissioners, and Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Farmland Preservation, to help preserve farmland in Lebanon County.
By voluntarily selling or donating agricultural conservation easements, the landowner prevents development of the land for purposes other than agricultural production, while retaining ownership.
Landowners who prefer a non-profit approach to preserving agricultural lands may contact the Lebanon Valley Conservancy, Inc.
In 2017, LCCD Celebrated 25 Years of Agricultural Land Preservation. Watch a short video about the program here.
Benefits of Agricultural Land Preservation
- Protects land for future farm generations.
- Maintains agriculture, which employs 2 out of every 5 people in Lebanon County.
- Ensures farming is more affordable for future generations.
- Assures that land is available to produce our food supply.
- Keeps demand for public services lower, and taxes needed to support these services lower.
- Encourages soil and water conservation.
- Preserves farm culture.
- Retains open space, aesthetics and quality of life.
- Qualifies eligible farms for potential tax incentive. Please check with your accountant.
Requirements for Lebanon County Ag. Land Preservation Program
The farmland tract must:
- Be located in your municipality’s Agricultural Security Area.
- Contain at least 50% of soils which are available for agricultural production and are of capability classes I-IV.
- Contain 50% harvested crop land, pasture lands or grazing lands.
- Be at least 50 contiguous acres in size unless a minimum of 10 acres is of a unique crop or adjoining an attached perpetual agricultural conservation easement.
Agricultural Land Preservation Facts
Total Number of Easements: 167
Total Acres of Agricultural Land Preserved: 18,707.90 acres
Data by Municipality
Data current as of January 18, 2019
|Out of County||0||163.24|
Note: Some farms cross municipal boundaries. Where this happens the easement is only counted once in the municipality with the most acreage.
*ACE = Agricultural Conservation Easement
Lebanon County Agricultural Land Preservation Appeal
Appeals run 2/1/18 through 1/31/19
2018 Pledges and Donations……$232,072
Thank You to the County Commissioners, local municipalities,
and individuals who have generously pledged/donated to the
Lebanon County Agricultural Land Preservation Program.
18,707 ACRES OF AGRICULTURAL LAND PRESERVED IN LEBANON COUNTY
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TODAY
With one click you can…
* Protect and Conserve Lebanon County Agricultural Land for the Future
* Educate people about Lebanon County Natural Resources
That’s all it costs to protect a square foot of precious
Lebanon County Agricultural Land FOREVER!
THE LEGACY YOU LEAVE:
Secured Food Production
Improved Water Quality
Increased Water Quantity
Protection of our Agricultural Heritage
Reduced Harmful Impacts of Stormwater
Provides Agricultural Related Jobs
Enhanced Wildlife Resources
Improved Quality of Life
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Agricultural Preservation Specialist
717-277-5275 ext. 142
Agricultural Conservation Specialist
717-277-5275 ext. 117