The Envirothon is a fun, academic, hands-on event which challenges students to think critically about the natural world and their role in it. The LCCD offers 3 levels of Envirothons: Elementary – Grades 4-6; Middle School – Grades 6-8; and High School – Grades 9-12. Middle school and high school students are tested in the areas of Aquatics, Forestry, Wildlife, and Soils. At the high school level, students are also tested on current environmental issues.
The Elementary and Middle School Envirothon(s) study objectives and resource materials are provided by the LCCD. The ES and MS objectives are on a four year rotation. Each year’s objectives and resource materials are updated and posted annually. High School objectives and resource materials are provided by the PA Envirothon. Visit the PA Envirothon website at www.envirothonpa.org for resources and information.
Thank You to Our 2021 Envirothon Sponsors!
Thank you 2020 Envirothon Sponsors!
Although the 2020 Envirothon events were cancelled, much of the funding has been spent for the competitions. Funding this year was used to restock and purchase items for the Envirothon events, including:
- Trophies for first through third place (we’re hoping since our trophies are hand-made, that our artist will be able to change the year and we can use them next year).
- Medals for first through third place
- Educational Field Guides for first through third place
- Educational Field Guides to be included in a ‘Wildlife Trunk’ and ‘Aquatics Trunk’ (totes full of resources that the LCCD is developing for loan to teachers to help teach students about wildlife and aquatic critters and habitats).
- We also purchased/replaced an ‘IdentiFlyer and IdentiFlyer lyric and song cards. The IdentiFlyer is used to play both bird and amphibian calls for identification questions during the competitions and also during our elementary school field experience as a learning tool to teach students various calls.
- Additionally, we are still planning to award a minimum $1,000 scholarship(s) to one or more graduating Envirothon students.
Palmyra’s Tree Musketeers at the 2019 State Envirothon
9th Place Overall and High Station Score for Soils
For more information about Environmental Education contact:
717-277-5275 ext. 114